Hi, my name is Ruth Johnson, and I’m currently a second year computer science PhD student at the University of California, Los Angeles working with Sriram Sankararaman and Bogdan Pasaniuc. I am interested in the intersection of machine learning and genetics.
Previously, I worked on deep learning applications for genome sequencing technology at Illumina as a summer intern. Before that I worked as an R&D engineering intern at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, NM.
- [March 2019] Attended the Amazon Graduate Research Symposium in Seattle, WA
- [Nov 2018] Gave a presentation on “A scalable Bayesian framework for estimating the proportion of causal variants for a complex trait from GWAS” at ProbGen at Cold Spring Harbor in NY
- [Oct 2018] Presented our work, “An analysis of the genetic overlap of 20 complex traits under a non-infinitesimal model” at ASHG 2018
- [Sept 2018] Received a training grant from the NSF-NRT MENTOR training program
- [July 2018] Our work “A unifying framework for joint trait analysis under a non-infinitesimal model” is accepted at ISMB with simultaneous publication in Bioinformatics
- [June 2018] Started working at Illumina as a Deep Learning Engineering Intern doing research in base calling algorithms
Ruth Johnson, Huwenbo Shi, Bogdan Pasaniuc, Sriram Sankararaman; ISMB 2018 (simultaneously published in Bioinformatics 2018).
Gleb Kichaev, Megan Roytman, Ruth Johnson, Eleazar Eskin, Sara Lindström, Peter Kraft, Bogdan Pasaniuc; Bioinformatics 2017.
Brian Hill, Robert P Brown, Eilon Gabel, Christine Lee, Maxime Cannesson, Loes Olde Loohuis, Ruth Johnson, Brandon Jew, Uri Maoz, Aman Mahajan, Sriram Sankararaman, Ira Hofer, Eran Halperin; bioRxiv 2018.
A scalable Bayesian framework for estimating the proportion of causal variants for a complex trait from GWAS
Probabilistic Modeling In Genomics, Nov 2018. Long Island, NY, USA.
A unifying framework for joint trait analysis under a non-infinitesimal model
ISMB 2018, July 2018. Chicago, IL, USA.
CANVIS: Correlation Annotation VISualization
RECOMB-Genetics Satellite Meeting, July 2017. Los Angeles, CA, USA.
Awards & Recognitions
- NSF-NRT MENTOR Training Grant (2018)
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship - Honorable Mention (2018)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowships Program - Honorable Mention (2017)
- Eugene V. Cota-Robles Fellowship (2017)
- Dean’s Prize for Excellence for Undergraduate Research (2017)
- Undergraduate Bioinformatics Research Award (2017)
- Chancellor’s Service Award (2017)